Bottoms Up Regatta
Welcome to the 2021 Bottom’s Up Regatta and Carolinas’ Thistle Districts! Fleet 155 and the Carolina Sailing Club are excited to continue the Carolinas’ tradition of the Bottoms Up Regatta. We invite all sailors to campaign their Thistles at this long standing regatta, which has been a bedrock of the southeast spring championship series. We look forward to seeing you here so we can sail and socialize with fellow Thistle sailors on the waters of Jordan Lake in central North Carolina.
The Carolina Sailing Club, while a vibrant and active sailing club, does not have a formal club house location. For regional regattas, our members open up their homes to serve as a club house, and to house visiting sailors. For this weekend, the club house is designated as the home of Sara Paisner and Howard Mendlovitz. This weekend’s club house is approximately a 20 minute drive from the sailing venue.
Schedule of Events
(Note: While the event usually follows the schedule below, due to COVID19, we may shorten it to a one day event. -Sara)
Friday April 23, 2021
- The sailing area for the weekend, Vista Point on Jordan Lake, is open 0800 – 2000 for those who want to set up or drop off boats. Boats can be left mast-up overnight in the designated trailer parking area.
Saturday April 24, 2021
- Vista Point gates open at 0800
- Registration – 1000 to 1130
- Regatta competitors meeting 1145
- Warning for 1st race Saturday 1300
- (Races to follow as time permits)
- Boats will be left mast-up overnight in the designated trailer parking area.
- Dinner will be after racing on Saturday at the clubhouse. Directions will be provided on site.
- 6:00 pm Social
- 6:30 pm Dinner
- Vista Point gates close at 2000
Sunday April 25, 2021
- Breakfast at clubhouse or local hosts 0700
- Vista Point gates open at 0800
- Warning for 1st race – Sunday 0930
- (Races to follow if time permits)
- No warning signal shall be made after 1230 on Sunday
- Awards presentation ASAP after racing
- All boats must be removed from Vista Point by 2000 when gates close.
Early Registration: Please register early to help us with our planning. You can register using the links below. Note that registration will increase by $15 after April 20th. All skippers 25 years or younger are exempt from registration fees. These skippers are encouraged to pre-register, and will be reimbursed on-site if they register by April 20th and start at least one race.
Camping: Camping is available at the clubhouse (Sara and Howard’s home). Please indicate if you plan to camp on the Additional Info and Housing Signup Sheet.
Housing: Limited housing is available at the clubhouse and at additional local fleet members’ homes. Please let us know on the Additional Info and Housing Signup Sheet if you would like housing.
Meals: Dinner on Saturday night is $11/person, children under 12 are free. Please purchase your dinners below. Dinner will be a traditional NC pig pickin’ with fixin’s. Vegetarian options will be available. Two of our club’s Flying Scot fleet members will be working all day cooking the pig while we sail. Breakfast on Sunday will be provided at the clubhouse and other fleet members’ homes.
Babysitting: Please let us know if you need assistance with arranging babysitting by noting it on the Additional Info and Housing Signup Sheet.