Bottoms Up Regatta
- Thistle Sailors, Good news, time to get your Thistle out of storage and start to sail off the dust & rust. We have decided to move forward with having the Thistle SE Bottoms Up regatta on Saturday April 24 at Jordan Lake Vista Point, just Southwest of Raleigh. At this time we have verbal commitments for 12+ boats including the last 2 National Champions (Greg Griffin and Brad Russell) and 3 other prior SE regatta champions. The Carolinas Districts will be held at a later date in 2021 potentially merged with another SE regatta in the Carolinas. The Bottoms Up regatta is open to Thistles from any district and historically has boats from 4+ districts. This will be a one day regatta with up to 5 races on Saturday depending on wind conditions. According to Sail Flow, April historically is the windiest month of the year in Raleigh and we often have 10+ kts for this regatta. Vista Point Park has agreed to let us keep the boats in the parking lot overnight on Friday and Saturday for anyone that wants to arrive on Friday or stay over for some Sunday sailing. NOR will be posted shortly and registration will be up on Regatta Network this week. Please let us know if you plan to attend or if you need any assistance. Covid restrictions Online registration Virtual competitors meeting No dinner or social Masks required on shore Social distancing while rigging Hope to have you join us! Dan Russell Thistle 3828 “Family Magic” …
Mar 17, 2021 19:30
Schedule of Events
(Note: While the event usually follows the schedule below, due to COVID19, we may shorten it to a one day event. -Sara)
Friday April 23, 2021
- The sailing area for the weekend, Vista Point on Jordan Lake, is open 0800 – 2000 for those who want to set up or drop off boats. Boats can be left mast-up overnight in the designated trailer parking area.
Saturday April 24, 2021
- Vista Point gates open at 0800
- Registration – 1000 to 1130
- Regatta competitors meeting 1145
- Warning for 1st race Saturday 1300
- (Races to follow as time permits)
- Boats will be left mast-up overnight in the designated trailer parking area.
- Dinner will be after racing on Saturday at the clubhouse. Directions will be provided on site.
- 6:00 pm Social
- 6:30 pm Dinner
- Vista Point gates close at 2000
Early Registration: Please register early to help us with our planning. You can register using the links below. Note that registration will increase by $15 after April 20th. All skippers 25 years or younger are exempt from registration fees. These skippers are encouraged to pre-register, and will be reimbursed on-site if they register by April 20th and start at least one race.
Camping: Camping is available at the clubhouse (Sara and Howard’s home). Please indicate if you plan to camp on the Additional Info and Housing Signup Sheet.
Housing: Limited housing is available at the clubhouse and at additional local fleet members’ homes. Please let us know on the Additional Info and Housing Signup Sheet if you would like housing.
Meals: Dinner on Saturday night is $11/person, children under 12 are free. Please purchase your dinners below. Dinner will be a traditional NC pig pickin’ with fixin’s. Vegetarian options will be available. Two of our club’s Flying Scot fleet members will be working all day cooking the pig while we sail. Breakfast on Sunday will be provided at the clubhouse and other fleet members’ homes.
Babysitting: Please let us know if you need assistance with arranging babysitting by noting it on the Additional Info and Housing Signup Sheet.