Pro/con discussion of all amendments is happening on the TCA Google Group: https://groups.google.com/g/thistleclass. Additionally, for Amendment Proposal 7, the TCA will be hosting two debate/Q&A sessions via Zoom in the month of June.
- Video link for session 1 – 6/15/23
- Video link for session 2 – 6/28/23 (passcode for session 2: V08^AMsi)
2023 Amendment Proposal 7:
Prohibit Sex, Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity Distinctions in TCA Sanctioned Events
Submitted by Fleet #110, Birmingham Thistle Fleet (10 of 13 eligible fleet members voted in support)
Constitution Article IV, Paragraph 6 to read: The Thistle Class Association shall not sanction or approve of any regatta or award that limits, restricts, or otherwise defines eligibility on the basis of sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
History and Reasoning:
On March 2, 2023 the Thistle Class Association Board of Governors voted to amend the Bylaws to allow transgender women to compete in the Women’s Nationals. The class is presently divided among itself regarding the appropriateness of this amendment. Fleet 110 believes that the proposed amendment offers two benefits:
Advantages to TCA:
- First, the proposed amendment removes all debate on this divisive issue and allows all genders to compete on one level playing field: Thistle Nationals. By removing any gender or sex-based distinctions, this amendment recognizes that all sailors have the opportunity and ability to excel at the highest level. The Thistle Class Association. welcomes all people, from all walks of life, to compete together.
- Second, the proposed amendment will better align the class with the purpose of Article IV, paragraph 5 of the Constitution: “Membership discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity), national origin, disability, or age will not be tolerated.” Specifically, the current Women’s Nationals discriminates on the basis of sex by not allowing cisgender men or transgender men to participate and potentially violates Article IV. Removing Women’s Nationals will ensure that the Thistle Class is not discriminating on the basis of sex.
1) This amendment will prohibit the Class from holding Women’s Nationals or other Women’s specific regattas.
2) This amendment will prohibit the Class from acknowledging the top placing women at Thistle events, from Nationals to the fleet level.